Nadal Withdraws From Brisbane

Rafael Nadal withdrew from the Brisbane International on Wednesday due to a left thigh strain. An MRI scan showed a small strain, but the Spanish superstar still plans to compete at the Australian Open, which begins on 14 January.

“After a long period of time without competing, I felt a little bit [of pain in] the leg,” said Nadal during a press conference in Brisbane. “I did an MRI, and it shows a very small strain on the left thigh, but it's there… I tried to play and I still wanted to play.”

The 32-year-old Nadal had been aiming to return to the ATP Tour for the first time since 7 September, when he retired in the US Open semi-finals against Juan Martin del Potro. Nadal went 45-4 in 2018, including five titles, during a season that saw him sidelined by knee, abdominal and ankle injuries.

Nadal, who underwent the MRI scan on Tuesday, admitted, “There's always a time difference between here and in Spain. So I spoke with my doctors there yesterday. I went to sleep. When I woke up, they were sleeping, so I had to wait until later today to make the final decision.

“I feel better than four days ago. So the normal improvement is I will be practising. I’ll probably be 100 per cent in five days… But I really believe that I will be 100 per cent ready for Melbourne.”

Are You In? Subscribe To Get Tournament Updates In Your Inbox



from Tennis - ATP World Tour http://bit.ly/2H0FBtg

No comments

Theme images by Jason Morrow. Powered by Blogger.